Monday, May 5, 2008

Antelope

When deciding on another wild meat to try at Clark's Fish Camp I was steered away from the rattlesnake by the waitress who said it was mostly bone and the majority of people who ordered it complained so I'll have to save that for another day. We decided to go with something exotic yet not too strange and mammalian seemed a safe bet. I've already had rabbit, venison, buffalo and kangaroo so that left antelope.

The antelope was tougher and drier than the ostrich but with a slightly fuller flavor and more natural salt concentration. The texture is very similar to that of dry, tough steak which is more pronounced due to the complete lack of any fat. The flavor is, as one can imagine, similar to venison but I can't really compare the subtleties as it's been over a year since I last tried deer.

So if you like lean, "gamey" meat and don't mind the toughness, antelope is a good beast to try.

antelope

No comments: